Own a custom domain that was purchased outside of ClickFunnels? If you would like to add that external custom domain so that it may be used in your funnels, this walkthrough can show you how.
One of the main reasons you would want to add your external custom domain to ClickFunnels is that it gives your funnels a refined brand. After connecting your domain to ClickFunnels, you won’t have to use the ClickFunnels subdomain in your funnels.
Your funnel's address using a ClickFunnels Subdomain:
Your funnel's address using a Custom External Domain:
By the end of this document, you should be able to answer:
- What is an external custom domain?
- Why would I want to add my external custom domain to ClickFunnels?
- How do I add my external custom domain to ClickFunnels?
- How do I add the SSL to my external custom domain after connecting it to ClickFunnels?
- What are the next steps after adding my external custom domain to ClickFunnels?
Prior to getting started, you will need to have the following:
- An active ClickFunnels account
- An external custom domain pointing to ClickFunnels
Please watch the video below, in full screen:
Important Note: An external custom domain is any domain you’ve purchased/obtained through a hosting service outside of ClickFunnels, such as Cloudflare, BlueHost, etc. If your external custom domain is not pointing to ClickFunnels, follow these links found below for setting up your CNAME records:
Set up your CNAME record(s)
1. Follow the instructions in the article below if you want to point your root domain with ClickFunnels:
Set up Your Root Domain According to These Instructions
2. If you want to point a subdomain to ClickFunnels, instead, check the tutorial here:
If your external domain is already pointing to ClickFunnels, follow this process:
Add your External Custom Domain
1. Log in to your ClickFunnels account.
2. Hover over the main menu on the top right-hand corner and select Account Settings.
3. On the left-hand side, select Domains.
4. Select Add New Domain.
5. Select Use an existing domain.
6. Enter your external custom domain.
Important note: If you’re using a subdomain different from ‘www’ (i.e. blog, shop, help, etc.), make sure to remove ‘www’ from the field.
7. If your custom external domain is currently managed in Cloudflare, you’ll need to indicate this by checking the box above the Add domain button (optional).
8. Select Add domain.
Verify your External Custom Domain
1. On the next page, select I've done this step.
2. Review the information in the pop-up and select the Close button.
3. Select a funnel from the list in the drop-down menu. (optional)
- Select Associate funnel.
- If you associate a funnel to your domain at this time, the Default and 404/Error Pages will auto-populate with the first step of the funnel you select.
- If you would rather associate a funnel with your domain at a later time, you can skip this step by selecting Just show me my domains.
If you don’t associate a funnel to your domain at this time, you will need to select the Default and 404/Error Pages manually.
- You can also click on Domains on the left sidebar to navigate back to the Domain Screen.
4. Confirm your domain is verified.
Add the SSL to your External Custom Domain
1. Click on your domain or on the three dots next to your new domain and then on Edit.
2. Locate SSL and click Expand.
3. Select Add SSL.
4. A notification will show up in the top right corner informing you that the SSL setup process has been initiated for your domain.
After adding the SSL, your domain’s status will change from VERIFIED to SECURING, and after 10-15 minutes (this may take more time) come back to finish the process.
5. Locate SSL and select Expand.
6. Click on the Check Now button.
7. A success notification will show up in the top right corner informing you that your domain is ready.
This will not only generate the domain's SSL but also change your domain’s status from SECURING to SECURED.
Important note: If it has been more than 25 minutes and the SSL cannot be checked, and your domain is not SECURED, please reach out to our support team for further assistance.
Here are the key takeaways for this document:
- An external custom domain is any domain you’ve purchased/obtained through a hosting service outside of ClickFunnels, such as Cloudflare, BlueHost, etc.
- Before adding your external custom domain to ClickFunnels, you’ll need to make sure you’ve first set up the proper CNAME record(s) in your domain host.
- After adding and verifying your external custom domain in your ClickFunnels account, you’ll need to make sure the SSL has been added. This may take anywhere between 5 to 25 minutes after the domain itself has been verified.
If you have any questions about this, please contact our support team by clicking the support icon in the bottom right-hand corner of this page.