Setting up Mailgun as an SMTP will allow you to send emails to your customers via the Funnel Automation and Follow-Up Funnels. This article will go over how to set up Mailgun in your account to use as your SMTP Email Integration.
Prior to getting started, you will need to have the following:
- A Mailgun Account
- A Domain added to ClickFunnels
Step 1: Setting Up Mailgun SMTP:
Mailgun is one of the 3rd party SMTP services supported by ClickFunnels. Just like any other SMTP provider, it will allow you to deliver emails to your customers’ inbox.
Adding Your Domain In Mailgun:
Mailgun needs your domain to generate a series of records that you will need to add to your domain host (Step 2).
1. Log in to your Mailgun account.
2. Click on Sending on the left sidebar.
3. Click on Domains.
4. Click on the Add New Domain button.
5. Add your domain in the Domain name field.
6. Choose your Domain region.
Mailgun provides two regions to send your emails from: US and EU.
7. Click on the Advanced Settings (DKIM) link and choose your DKIM key length. (optional)
8. Click on the Add Domain button.
Step 2: Adding Mailgun Records In Your Domain Host:
Mailgun will require you to add two TXT records, two MX records, and one CNAME record in your domain host. For the purpose of this article, we will show you how to add those records using a domain purchased/registered through ClickFunnels. If you’re using an External Domain, please check our Help Docs for the ones supported by our platform or contact your domain host.
1. In a separate tab, log in to your ClickFunnels account.
2. Hover over the main menu and click on Account Settings.
3. Select Domains from the left sidebar.
4. Click on the Domain’s URL to access the settings.
You can also click on the three dots and then on Edit to access the settings.
5. Locate Edit Zone Records and click on the Expand button.
6. Adding two TXT Records.
These are located under the Add DNS records for sending section in Mailgun.
a. Go back to the Mailgun tab and copy the Mailgun subdomain only or, in other words, what comes before the .yourdomain.com part of the first TXT record.
For example, if the domain you added in Mailgun is mg.yourdomain.com, you will only copy mg.
b. Go back to ClickFunnels and click on the Add button.
c. Select TXT from the Type drop-down menu.
d. Paste the TXT record in the Name field. In this case, paste mg only.
e. Go back to Mailgun and copy the entire TXT value.
f. Paste the value in the Value field in ClickFunnels.
g. Click on the Save button.
h. Go back to Mailgun and copy the second TXT record. You will only need to copy up until .yourdomain.com.
i. Create another TXT record in ClickFunnels and paste the second TXT record in the Name field.
j. Go back to Mailgun and copy the entire TXT value.
k. Paste the TXT value in the Value field in ClickFunnels.
l. Click Save.
7. Adding two MX Records.
These are located under the Add DNS records for sending section in Mailgun, below the TXT Records.
1. Go back to Mailgun and only copy the Mailgun subdomain of the first MX record. You will need to copy up until .yourdomain.com.
2. Go back to ClickFunnels and select MX from the Type drop-down menu.
3. Paste the MX record in the Name field.
4. Go back to Mailgun and copy the entire MX value.
5. Paste the MX value in the Value field in ClickFunnels.
6. Click Save.
7. Go back to Mailgun and copy the second MX record. Only the subdomain.
8. Create another MX record in ClickFunnels and paste the second MX record in the Name field.
9. Go back to Mailgun and copy the entire MX record value.
10. Paste the MX value in the Value field in ClickFunnels.
11. Click Save.
8. Adding the CNAME Record.
You will need to scroll all the way down to find this record in Mailgun.
1. Go back to Mailgun and only copy the Mailgun subdomain of the CNAME record. Copy up until .yourdomain.com.
2. Go back to ClickFunnels and select CNAME from the Type drop-down menu.
3. Paste the CNAME record in the Name field.
4. Go back to Mailgun and copy the entire CNAME value.
5. Paste the CNAME value in the Value field in ClickFunnels.
6. Click Save.
9. Verifying your Records.
Once you add the records in ClickFunnels, you will need to verify them in Mailgun.
1. Go back to Mailgun and click on the Verify DNS Settings button under the Add DNS records for tracking section.
2. Click on the Verify DNS Settings button under the Wait for your domain to verify section.
10. Select SMTP as your option to send emails.
Step 3: Completing Your SMTP Integration:
After verifying your records in Mailgun and selecting SMTP as your option to send emails, you will begin the process of integrating Mailgun as your SMTP in ClickFunnels.
1. Go back to ClickFunnels, hover over the main menu, and click on Account Settings.
2. Select Email Integrations (SMTP) from the left sidebar.
3. Click on the Add email integration button.
4. Select Transactional & Marketing as the Email Type.
5. Complete ALL fields in the configuration form with the required info, including the business address and the SMTP Footer.
1. Title- This is the name of your integration. This is for internal reference only and not visible to email recipients.
2. From Name - The name displayed as the email sender.
3. From Email - The email address displayed as the sender.
4. SMTP Server - smtp.mailgun.org.
5. SMTP Port- 587
6. SMTP User- This should be email@example.com. The mg part will be replaced with the subdomain you used in Mailgun if you used a different one.
7. SMTP Password - Your Mailgun generated password.
8. SMTP Domain - This is the domain that you verified. Insert only the domain name. Do not use www, http, or https. If you used mg as the subdomain, then it should be mg.yourdomain.com.
9. Domain - Select the domain you will be utilizing for this SMTP setup. The domain should be connected to ClickFunnels.
10. Address - Enter your business's physical address using the corresponding fields.
11. SMTP Footer - Your SMTP Footer is the information that will be included in the footer for all your emails. This area supports HTML code.
You can copy the snippet below, paste it into the field, and edit the Company Name, Address, and Phone information.
<center><p>Company Name | 123 Address, City, State, Zip | 9876543210</p><p><a href="#UN_SUB#">Unsubscribe</a></p></center>
6. Toggle the Default SMTP Integration switch On (Optional).
Setting this to On will make this setup the default email sending integration for your ClickFunnels account.
7. Click on the Save SMTP Integration button.
Important Note: ClickFunnels does not provide a WEBHOOK URL for Mailgun SMTP, stats are tracked through UTM tracking.
If you have any questions about this, please contact our support team by clicking the support icon in the bottom right-hand corner of this page.