Review best practices on how to successfully deliver emails. If you are struggling with email delivery and want to make sure your emails make it to your subscribers, this will teach you strategies to make it happen successfully and consistently.
Prior to getting started, you will need to have the following:
Important Note: This article is intended to share best practices and does not guarantee the delivery of your emails. If you do follow these best practices, it should ensure you remain compliant and improve deliverability, but there are no guarantees.
Follow Email Standards
- There are an array of laws and regulations around email. Among those regulations, CAN-SPAM is essential not just because it ensures legal compliance, but also in terms of email delivery.
- Two key aspects of CAN-SPAM include being upfront about the reason for your email and including an unsubscribe link within the email.
- In each of the SMTP guides here at ClickFunnels, we include a standard footer format that should help with the latter part of compliance.
- If you're unsure whether you are compliant, read the full CAN-SPAM act here.
- Beyond CAN-SPAM laws, you should also pay attention to any other local laws and regulations regarding email.
- GDPR is another important regulation to consider, specifically for those involved in business within the EU.
Set the Tone - Educate Your Subscribers
- Setting expectations is essential for any business relationship. When it comes to email, this can not only help ensure you stay compliant with regulations around electronic communication, but it can also improve your delivery.
- When sending an initial email to your new subscriber, make sure to remind them what they will get from your list and where they might have signed up for it.
- Let your subscribers know to add you to their address book, tells their email server you are sending from a trusted address.
- Before a member subscribes, include a note on your signup page that encourages them to check their SPAM folder if they don't get the email within 10 minutes.
- If an email does end up in SPAM, having subscribers actively mark it as "not spam" can go a long way to improving your reputation and increasing email delivery.
- Ultimately, when subscribers open and click your emails, it helps improve your sending reputation, so those who don't interact can cause a decrease in delivery. This is where segmentation can be helpful.
Segment Your Traffic
- Another powerful way to improve your email delivery is to segment your audience.
- The first part of segmenting comes from separating your lists based on interests.
- For example, if you have a daily or weekly email newsletter that goes out, you will want to consider creating that as one list. Similarly, any transactional emails should be sent out to another list and so on.
- Using different lists allows them to unsubscribe from individual subscriptions that they may not wish to receive anymore without completely being removed from your system.
- Along with segmented lists, you might also consider having two sending addresses: one for regular email lists and another for transactional emails.
If you have any questions about this, please contact our support team by clicking the support icon in the bottom right-hand corner of this page.