Review common reasons that a Stripe account might be shut down. We explore some potential ways to avoid these shutdowns and what you can do if your account is shut down. If you have set up a Stripe account and want to ensure it does not get shut down or you have an existing account that was shut down, this article explores options available to you.
Prior to getting started, you will need the following:
Avoid Prohibited Activities - Keep Your Account Healthy
- The first thing you should consider when choosing Stripe as your payment gateway is whether your business might be prohibited by their payment gateway.
- Stripe has a list of restricted businesses you should refer to prior to creating an account.
- Make sure your business is not a restricted business on the list. Otherwise, you can expect they may shut down your account sooner or later.
Ways to Avoid Chargebacks and Comply with Policies
- One of the most harmful actions that can hurt your payment gateway is having chargebacks posted on your account.
- To avoid chargebacks, it's recommended you maintain open communication channels with your customers.
- Have a very clear refund policy and when in doubt err on the side of caution.
- It's better to grant your customer a refund intentionally than have them chargeback, as this is very damaging to your account.
What to do When Your Account Is Shut Down
- If your Stripe account is already shut down, there is likely little you can do to restore your account.
- In most cases, you will find Stripe's decision to shut down your account is absolute.
- However, if you run into this trouble, it does not mean you are out of options.
- If you do have your account shut down, the best option is to reach out to Gateway Funnel Pros.
- They can help you set up a new payment gateway and will set you up with a representative who can help advise you and avoid future problems with your gateway.
If you have any questions about this, please contact our support team by clicking the support icon in the bottom right-hand corner of this page.